That sounds like not much fun does it! I’ll start with this: I can’t comment for anyone else because I am just one person with my own experiences.
Later this year we will be approaching 8 years together, and although we are strictly speaking “newlyweds”, we aren’t in the traditional sense. We already lived together and had our routine kinda down. Life easily gets in the way of spending quality time together and sometimes we can find ourselves in ruts, where we don’t go out much, romance is wilting and being in control of the tv remote is important (to me).
Last year I read about a couple who had a 2-2-2 rule:
- Every 2 weeks, they go out for the evening.
- Every 2 months, they go out for the weekend.
- Every 2 years, they go out for a week.
I really liked the idea of try to make more of a priority of spending time together. Now we aren’t quite in the same double digit set of guidelines, but I liked the idea and we try to:
- Have a planned date every two weeks – this is a walk together, or dinner out or home, going to the cinema, or just out for a couple of drinks.
- Put technology on the back burner on dates, and in the evenings in together.
- Have a weekend away every 6 months
- A week away every year.
I can’t say that I have asked friends what they do, because everyone is different and I so would not want to imply that anyone else needs rules like these. But they help us out.
Is there anything you try to do as a rule in your relationship?