Blood donation. Not the obvious gift to give at this time of year but one I hope you will all think about giving. Tomorrow I’ll be going along to my local session for my 16th donation.
I first starting giving blood at uni, spurred on after a friend of mine sadly passed away just before I started at Falmouth back in 2007. She had cancer and the last time I had visited her in hospital she was being given blood. Before then it hadn’t even occurred to me how many donations the NHS might need to help all the people in need.
Some things about giving blood:
- The nursing staff are super lovely.
- There are snacks and stickers after.
- You’ll feel super proud of yourself after, if it’s your 1st or 15th donation.
- You can donate if you are between 17 and 66 years old, and fit and healthy.
- Men can donate every 3 months, women every 4 months – those chaps regenerate their blood cells quicker! Lucky them!
There is loads more information about donating, what’s involved and how you go about registering on blood.co.uk or if you have any questions for me let me know.